Video answer: Languages of belgium
Top best answers to the question «Do belgians speak english»
- Normally locals also speak English. Belgium has three official languages: French, Dutch and German. In Belgian schools the official two languages taught are French and Dutch, so the majority of Belgians are bilingual.
- In fact, Belgium doesn’t have a single ‘Belgian’ language, but rather three official languages: Flemish Dutch, French and German. Almost all of Belgium’s 12 million residents speak one or more of these languages, while some 38-55% of the population (estimates vary) also speak English as a second language (or in some cases, third or fourth).
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Do belgians speak english?» often ask the following questions:
😉 Do people speak english in wallonia?
According to the latest annual ranking by Education First (EF) Flemings and people in Brussels generally speak better English than is the case among people in Wallonia… Over the past year more than 2.3 million non-native speakers of English have taken the test.
😉 Do some belgians speak german?
German is the least prevalent official language in Belgium, spoken natively by less than 1% of the population. The German-speaking Community of Belgium numbers 77,000, residing in an area of Belgium that was ceded by the former German Empire as part of the Treaty of Versailles, which concluded World War I.
😉 Do the flemish speak english well?
- The Flemish are likely to try and switch to English as soon as they notice you're a foreigner. In general, they have a much better knowledge of English than the French speaking people.
😉 Do they speak english in bruges?
Language: The languages spoken in Bruges are Flemish and English.
😉 Do they speak english in wallonia?
In Wallonia they speak French. Brussels is officially bilingual, but French is much wider used than Flemish. From what I've seen, yes, it's OK, it won't make people mad, but not absolutely everyone will understand English. Many people will, especially in touristy bits.
😉 Does antwerp speak english?
All in all, Antwerp is a great little town with more culture, restaurants and cafes than its size warrants. Very easy. Almost everyone here speaks English, as it is thaught at school from age 14 and in some even earlier.
😉 Does bruges speak english?
What languages are spoken in Belgium?
- Flemish (Dutch)
- Luxembourgish And More
😉 What do southern belgians speak?
- Walloon is the historical language of southern Belgium, and most of the areas where French is now spoken were Walloon-speaking. It is also the traditional national language of the Walloons . Though it has been recognized since 1990, like other vernaculars in Belgium, it is spoken mainly by older people.
😉 What do the majority of belgians speak?
Flemish Dutch is the most spoken of the three languages, with around 59% of the population speaking this as their primary language. French is spoken by around 40% of Belgians as their primary tongue, while just 1% of the population speaks German as their first language.
Video answer: Belgians divided by language barrier - 23 sep 07
1 other answer
my best mate is from belgium and she speaks englsih to me so i think they do
We've handpicked 6 related questions for you, similar to «Do belgians speak english?» so you can surely find the answer!What is percentage of belgians speak french?
- French is one of the three official languages of Belgium alongside Dutch and German. It is spoken natively by around 45% of the population, primarily in the southern region of Wallonia and the Brussels-Capital Region.
Do I need to speak English in Belgium?
- Yes, you can use English as a last resort, but you’ll need to be able to deploy the basics of French in many situations. There’s one thing concerning the languages spoken in Belgium we can’t stress enough: If you are in Wallonia, you should never address anyone in Flemish right off the bat.
Official Languages: French, Dutch and German. Wallon, the local variant of French, is used by 33% of population. Flemish is used by more than 60% of the population, and is spoken in the northern part of the country. The languages learned at school are officially labelled French and Dutch.What percentage of belgians speak english?
What percentage of Belgium speaks English? As you already know, Belgium has three official languages. English is one of them. Out of the total population of the country, about 38% of them can speak English fluently.When did the belgians start to speak french?
- In 1830, the Belgians had enough of the Dutch king Willem I and his malarky, and declared themselves independent. The inhabitants of Wallonia, the region that is called ‘Wallonie’, speak French.
Video answer: Do you speak belgian? meet the belgiansWhich language do belgians speak the most/best?
- What Languages Do They Speak In Belgium? Flemish (Dutch) First off, there's the Dutch-speaking Flemish community mostly found in the northern region of Flanders. French. Second on the list of most-spoken languages in Belgium is French… German… Luxembourgish And More…